CORONATION CHICKEN PASTA SALAD
Invented in 1953 for the crowning of Queen Elizabeth II, classic Coronation Chicken has a mild, creamy curried sauce, with a touch of fruit. This delicious pasta salad is inspired by the same flavours, but with some lekker South African twists.
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 25 minutes Serves: 4 - 6
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) medium-strength curry powder
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thin slices of lemon, peel on
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) fruit chutney
- ½ cup (125 ml) white wine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 cup (250 ml) plain Greek yoghurt
- the juice of a lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole ready-roasted chicken, cooled
- 1 x 500 g pack Pasta Grandé Shells
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 4 litres water
- 1 mango, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) pecan or macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Prepare the sauce in advance so it has time to chill, and to let the flavours mingle. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the finely chopped onion, and fry over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, curry powder, cumin, bay leaves and lemon slices, and cook, stirring, for 1 more minute.
- Add the chutney, wine and water. Simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has slightly reduced and thickened.
- Scrape the sauce into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Remove and discard the lemon slices and bay leaves, then whisk in the mayonnaise, yoghurt and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Place the bowl in the fridge until cold.
- Bring the water and salt to a fast boil in a large pot. Add all the pasta in one go and stir to separate the pieces. Briefly cover the pot with a lid until the water comes back to a rapid boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring now and then, for 6-8 minutes, or until just tender (al dente).
- Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse it under cold water. Drain again and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken and pull the meat into big shreds. Add the chicken to the cold sauce along with the cooled pasta and mix everything together. Season again, to taste.
- Transfer to a salad bowl and garnish with mango slices, nuts and coriander or parsley. Serve immediately.
- It’s best to serve this salad within an hour, but if you’d like to make it in advance and keep it in the fridge, you can ‘loosen’ it up by stirring in a little extra lemon juice, mayo and yoghurt before you garnish it.
- You can use tinned peaches or apricots instead of mango, and cubed poached chicken breasts instead of a ready-roasted chicken.
- Other Pasta Grandé shapes you can use in this recipe: Gnocchi, Cavatappi, Elbows, Macaroni and Screws.
Coronation Chicken Pasta Salad
You can use tinned peaches or apricots instead of mango.